LIBRARIAN II – Adult Services
(40 hrs/week; $20.68--$29.28 per hour)
The Dover Public Library is accepting applications for an “Adult Services Librarian”. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented professional to provide vision, leadership and expertise related to collections and services for adults. This person possesses an exemplary knowledge of literature, popular media and culture, will oversee all aspects of the library's main circulation department, will supervise a part-time staff of seven, and will lead developments to enhance the library’s programming and outreach services. Position requires a multi-faceted self-starter, capable of handling multiple competing priorities while working in an often fast-paced, public service desk environment.
· Supervises all circulation desk functions within an automated library system (ILS).
· Leads customer-focused management of patron concerns, requests, suggestions, complaints, and instruction.
· Shows proficiency with automated library systems, social media and content creation tools, Microsoft Office.
· Provides Readers’ Advisory assistance.
· Orders all non-juvenile DVDs and music CDs and participates in print acquisitions for other adult collections.
· Hires, trains, schedules, supervises, coaches, and evaluates assigned library assistants, pages and volunteers.
· Provides library technology instruction (e.g. catalog, databases, eServices, downloadable books, Internet and PCs.)
· Creates monthly newsletter, develops library displays, signage, patron information packets, bookmarks, etc.
· Schedules monthly art exhibits and periodic adult programming events.
· Recommends policy and procedure changes. Creates circulation reports.
· Evaluates materials for weeding, replacement, repair, or withdrawal.
· Supervises public shelving areas and storage of basement materials.
· Analyzes space needs; maintains diverse, fresh, and attractive collections in all adult areas through creative marketing.
· Troubleshoots and resolves minor computer and printer issues.
· Manages Meeting Rooms' bookings and schedules, and museum pass bookings, schedules and renewals.
· Conducts bi-monthly circulation meetings.
· Maintains current knowledge of relevant new technologies and library trends.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
- Committed experience working with the public in a library setting.
- Experience working with an automated library system. Open Source and/or SQL experience helpful.
- Knowledge of print, database, and online information sources.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Photoshop Elements applications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, analyze problems, and develop and implement creative solutions.
- Experience working with, and instructing, customers with all ranges of technical expertise.
- Evidence of a high degree of initiative and versatility, a committed customer-service focus, and a desire to master new technologies.
- Working knowledge of social media and community engagement tools including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and other content creation systems.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with department heads, employees, and the public and to deal with service problems courteously and tactfully.
Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university; at least 1 year of professional library experience with a concentration in public services is preferred, but graduate students in an accredited MLS program in their final semester are also eligible to apply. Experience with an automated integrated library system (ILS) is essential.
If you are committed to collaboration and wish to join a library that believes in continual improvement and exemplary customer service, your next job may be at the Dover Public Library. To see the complete job description and download the job application, go to: http://www.dover.nh.gov/government/city-operations/executive/human-resources/employment/
Responses must be received by May 16, 2014.