LIBRARIAN II -- Systems & Technology
(40 hrs/week; $20.68--$29.28 per hour)
The Dover Public Library is accepting applications for a “Systems and Technology Librarian”. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, results-oriented professional with a background in both automation and technical services to provide vision, leadership and expertise related to library technology. This person will oversee all aspects of the library's current automation system (SirsiDynix Horizon), and lead developments to enhance the library’s web-related activities. The successful candidate will be able to identify, evaluate, implement, and teach the use of new technologies which facilitate information access and community-driven services.
Serve as the Systems/Technology Coordinator:
· Manage, plan and administer all aspects of the library's ILS.
· Plan and execute all system hardware and software upgrades, purchases, and replacements.
· Lead the library in exploring, evaluating, and adopting emergent technology products and solutions.
· Redesign, expand and maintain the library’s website and content management systems.
· Manage and support the library's population of staff and public computers.
· Supervise the library’s Technical Services Office workflow (Acquisitions & Cataloging).
· Run regular reports and create customized reports using SQL.
· Maintain library's databases (online catalog and patron database).
· Train staff and patrons in the use of new technologies that facilitate library use and information access.
· Liaise with the City’s IT Department and serve as library representative on the City’s IT Committee.
· Lead and collaborate with five Dovernet public school libraries in troubleshooting ILS issues.
· Track and supervise the Acquisitions budget.
· Work regular assigned shifts at public service desks.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
· Demonstrated experience managing an integrated library system.
· Experience working in a public library service setting.
· Broad knowledge of technical services (including AACRII and MARC tagging).
· Ability to develop, configure, and run reports using SQL.
· Ability to test, install, and evaluate hardware and software.
· Experience working with, and supporting, various types of clients with all ranges of technical expertise.
· Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral.
· Demonstrated ability to think critically, analyze problems, and develop and implement creative solutions.
· Evidence of a high degree of initiative and versatility, and customer-service focus.
· Working knowledge of HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL and Java Script. C, C+, C++ programming helpful.
· Ability to maintain effective working relationships and to deal with service problems courteously.
Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university; minimum of 3-5 years professional library experience with a concentration in technology required. Experience with ILS administration critical. Interest/experience with open source library software desirable.
If you are committed to collaboration and wish to join a library that believes in continual improvement and exemplary customer service, your next job may be at the Dover Public Library. To see the complete job description and download the job application, go to:
http://www.dover.nh.gov/employment.htm. Responses received by June 30, 2011 will receive priority consideration; open until filled.